Senate Hearing: Taking Back Our Democracy
On Tuesday, July 24th, the Subcommittee on the Constitution, Civil Rights and Human Rights of the Senate Judiciary Committee will hold a hearing entitled, “Taking Back Our Democracy: Responding to Citizens United and the Rise of Super PACs."
The hearing will be at 2:30 p.m. in Room 216 of the Hart Senate Office Building.
Subcommittee Chairman Sen. Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) will preside.
Discussion will include Sen. Durbin’s Fair Elections Now Act, proposed constitutional amendments to overturn the Citizens United decision, transparency measures, and other possible responses.
- Sen. Max Baucus (D-Montana)
- Sen. Bernie Sanders (D-Vt.)
- Sen. Tom Udall (D-N.M.)
- Rep. Donna Edwards (D-Md.)
- Former Congressman, Governor, and presidential candidate Buddy Roemer
- Founder of Rootstrikers and Harvard Professor Lawrence Lessig
- Cato Institute’s Ilya Shapiro.
We’ll be on Capitol Hill for the hearing—and hope you can join us. If not, you can watch on your computer. Just follow the “Webcast” link on this page tomorrow. We’ll be live-tweeting the event and we encourage you to join in, using #democracy4sale hashtag.